I will speak now as a performance horse, and what I say can apply to many other beings. But for the sake of ease and clarity, let’s begin here.
I have been bred and raised to serve humans. It is in every gene, in every cell. This is how I was created, in a sense, by humans. So of course, I am finely tuned to do this service. If I am treated with loving care and respect, there is no limit to the beautiful connection I can have with a person and the beauty and grace with which I do my job.
At the same time, I am a highly spiritual being. I came into this body with full consciousness and when I leave it, I will be fully conscious in my next incarnation and in my essence as a spiritual being without form in between lifetimes.
My mission is to love and to be loved and to evolve in consciousness as much as I am able. Part of that evolution occurs as I spend time and work with humans. We evolve together. What people seem to not understand or grasp is that we come to you from a place of service, as servants. But we do not come to be treated as babies, as possessions, as lesser than.
It is true that we cannot speak in your language and we cannot think in abstract ways the same as humans. We do not have hands that allow us to build things. We do not have bodies that move in the ways that yours do. We are simply different. But that does not mean that we are not as conscious or wise, or that we experience less emotion or pain or passion.
When you treat us with respect and ask us to perform WITH you rather than FOR you, when you house us in places that meet all of our needs—including freedom to run and interact with other horses if that is our choice or to be alone if that is our preference,or to live with certain individuals and not others—then we are able to feel peace and contentment and that then is transmitted to those in our presence. If, however, you treat us as commodities that need to be used in order to meet your needs rather than our own, we can often become great problems in your lives. We do not tolerate this well, at least many of us do not. We suffer. And through our suffering, it is possible that the people we are around will suffer as well and not even understand the connection.
It is not enough to love a horse and stick him in a stall and forget about him. Or even in a pasture. Many horses are housed in beautiful, expensive facilities and then asked to perform for a very uncaring trainer. It could happen that this horse performs well and wins many shows and ostensibly seems happy, but inside is lacking in love and eventually breaks down. We do not always know the consequences of our actions. I can only stress to you that love is the primary motivating force in the universe and if love is missing, nothing else works.
The reason I came to you is not to blame anyone or try to make anyone feel guilty. But I do want you to know that there are many subtleties in the horse world, as in all earth worlds, and it is time for people to start paying attention.
- How would you feel if you were put in a small pen with electric wires all around it and asked to stand there alone much of the day?
- How would you feel if you were left alone, without human or animal contact, for many, many hours?
- How would you feel if you were asked to perform for someone who beats you when you don’t measure up, even if the work has not been explained properly to you?
- How would you feel if you were told how beautiful and wonderful you are, but then not acknowledged for the deep, beautiful soul that lives deep inside?
- How would you feel if you had strong emotion coursing through you and then no outlet to express it through movement or through interaction with others?
- How would you feel if you had no choice about your companions or even the one you mated with, and were forced to endure things with other beings with whom you had no genuine connection?
Do you see what I am saying? All I am saying is PAY ATTENTION. We are talking to you all the time. We are showing you what we want and need. We are giving and giving. Pay attention! Wake up! Listen to us. FEEL us. Know us. Learn who we are. And most of all, appreciate us for all that we do for you. We don’t ask for much and we have been willing to tolerate many things that most humans could not endure. Now it is time to appreciate us and love us for who we truly are. This is all we ask.